Fairburn United Methodist Church
Thursday, December 14, 2017
Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors

Our Church History

The Methodist Church of Fairburn was organized in the fall of 1854.  The house was built in 1855 and dedicated by Rev. Noah Smith.  This first church was on the corner of what is now Church Street and Washington Street about 3 blocks away from the current site.
 
A party of members went to Savannah to get a bell which had been made in England.  They were gone so long, a second party was sent to find them lest they had fallen prey to Indians.  The bell was brought back by oxcart and mounted on a pole instead of being placed in the belfrey for fear lightening would strike it and burn the church.
 
Fairburn was first in the circuit with Palmetto.  In 1880, the membership had grown to fifty or sixty with a need for a better house more centrally located.  The new church was built where the old parsonage stood facing Campbellton Street.  The bell was placed in the belfrey.  Our pastor was Rev. J. A. Rosser.
 
It was through the influence and liberality of W.A. McCurry, a Stone Mountain granite building was erected in 1903-1904 where our present sanctuary stands.  The bell was placed in the belfrey.  This building was dedicated in 1905 during the ministry of Rev. C. M. Lipham.  The first wedding performed in this church was that of the Rev. Lipham and Miss Annie Longino.
 
The pecan trees in the area around the church were planted by L. M. Hobgood in 1927 at the insistence of his mother, who felt we needed some trees.
 
In 1938, two floors of Sunday School rooms were built adjacent to the back of the granite church.  Our pastor was Rev. J. T. Robins.
 
Fairburn became a station church in 1942 with a full-time minister, the first being Rev. W. F. Lunsford.  The present church was opened for worship June 3, 1956.  The Rev. Oscar Green was minister.  The original bell is in the belfry.
 
A new parsonage was built at 116 Valley View Drive in 1963 when Rev. A. J. Peters was our pastor.   The United Methodist Women established a Church Library in 1972 during the ministry of Rev. Grady A. Lively and through the direction of Rotelle Jackson.
 
A second parsonage located at 83 Malone Street was given to Fairburn UMC in December, 1976, by Young H. Longino and Sherwin S. Tucker so that retired Rev. and Mrs. Grady Lively would have a place of residence as long as they both should live.  The property was eventually sold in January, 1994, after Rev. and Mrs. Lively were moved into a nursing home.
 
A parcel of land owned by Reuben L. Johnson adjacent to the church property was acquired and the Youth and Fellowship Building was erected and completed in December, 1978.  The pastor's office and church secretary's office were moved into the new building.
 
In 1984, a parcel of land directly behind the Youth and Fellowship Building which faces Valley View Drive was purchased.  In June, 1991, we were able to purchase the Langston House property located on the corner of Washington and Valley View Drive.  In 1994, the Langston House was completely renovated, redecorated, and dedicated as The Youth House.
 
In the summer of 1998, volunteers in our church began construction on a Pavillion on the property which faces Valley View Drive.